Samstag, 26. Januar 2013

Famous Frocks


Today I would like to introduce you a certain book, I bought a few weeks ago. Judging from the topic of my blog and the stuff I told you earlier, you already know that I'm into sewing. At the beginning of this year I spent a week in Berlin, together with a friend. We visited the Tanz der Vampire musical (you can read something about it here) and did some shopping. On our last day we decided to check out the Urban Outfitters store at Kurfurstendamm. I really liked the clothing a lot, but somehow a book they sold, caught my attention beforehand:

 
Famous Frocks - patterns and instructions for recreating fabulous iconic dresses

by Sara Alm & Hannah McDevitt
Illustrations by Kerrie Hess

"Audrey Hepburn, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Marilyn Monroe...

These gorgeous women wore gorgeous dresses that still make us swoon today. Famous Frocks provides everything you need to make these classic dresses on your own - Audrey's Little Black Dress, Marylin's poster-classic white halter, Farrah's sexy wrap dress, and more. [...]" excerpt from the jacket text.




I love Breakfast at Tifanny's and all of those vintage style movies. Audrey Hepburn, Madonna and Marylin Monroe are simply beautiful and were divas, ikons, a long time ago - for some people they still are. They embody the style of a classical, timeless beauty and so their dresses do. I leafed through the pages and found some very intersting illustrations. As I could from the first glance at it, the patterns and instructions were easy to understand. And since I love the classic chic, I could not help myself. I had to buy it.

Here are some photos I took of the 'Marylin Chapter', my favourite one. Unfortunately it seems the storage battery of my DSLR is defect, so I had to take all photos with my old and shabby camera. That's the reason I only took a few. I really hate this camera. I'm very sorry for that.

 


The book features dresses of Bette Davis, Rita Hayworth, Marylin Monroe, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Audrey Hepburn, Twiggy, Diana Ross, Farrah Fawcett, Stevie Nicks and Madonna. I like the illustrations of the dresses a lot and the layout of the book is great. I placed it on a shelf in my room, so I can see the cover the whole time. I think a book like this is worth to be seen rather to be kept in a bookcase. Aside from the original, the book also contains a modern variation of the dress, which is quite interesting I think. In my next semester break (which will be quite soon - yeah!) I will definitely make one or two of those dresses. It will be one of Stevie Nick's dresses and the classic Marylin dress (I would love to dress up as Marylin for carnival or something like that! ♥), I guess.

Do you know some nice and inspiring sewing books? It would be lovely to share your experiences with me :)

Love,
J.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen